Siemens is dedicated to providing quality bone metabolism assays that improve patient care and allow laboratories of any size to consolidate testing on the ADVIA Centaur®, IMMULITE®, and Dimension® Systems.
a) Cleared for intraoperative use
b) Not available for sale in the U.S.
c) Under development. Not available for sale. Due to local regulations, not all products will become available in all countries
Siemens offers calcium measurement on all of its clinical chemistry and integrated systems, including the ADVIA® Chemistry, Dimension® and Dimension Vista® systems.
- Enhances calcium absorption in the intestines by stimulating the renal synthesis of 1,25(OH)2vitamin D
- Increases the amount of calcium in the blood through the release of PTH and the removal of calcium from the bone
- Decreases the amount of calcium by releasing less PTH
- Helps to form and maintain strong and healthy bones by increasing the amount of dietary calcium absorbed by the intestines
- Stops the parathyroid gland from secreting parathyroid hormone, which would increase levels of calcium in the blood
- Protects against osteoporosis, cancer, and hypertension
- Protein that binds to calcium; it is manufactured by the osteoblasts in bone and dentin
- A highly specific marker of late stage osteoblastic activity
- Higher serum-osteocalcin levels are relatively well correlated with increases in bone mineral density
- Excreted in urine and is a specific marker of bone resorption and osteoclastic activity.
- Used along with other bone markers to diagnose bone diseases such as osteoporosis, bone metastatis, and Paget's disease
- Useful in monitoring treatments that contain bone-active agents such as estrogens and bisphosphonates.
1Prim Care Clin Office Pract 2008;35:215-37